Data Scientist / Bioinformatician
What do you do as a Data Scientist / Bioinformatician at Hartwig Medical Foundation Australia?
As a Data Scientist / Bioinformatician at Hartwig Medical Foundation Australia, you will be responsible for the design, testing and integration into pipeline workflows of novel algorithms for processing whole transcriptome and whole genome data of patient samples. Our software takes raw sequencing data as input and produces a comprehensive molecular profile of each tumor, and then annotates and interprets the data to provide the best possible treatment recommendation to each patient. Your contribution will play an important role in optimizing the impact that our data, analyses and conclusions have on patients.
Furthermore, you will have access to Hartwig’s database of >6,000 cancer genomes and suite of analysis tools with opportunities to make novel contributions and observations and publish if desired.
What you’ll be doing
- Working closely with software engineers and cancer researchers to develop cutting edge algorithms for analyzing RNA and DNA sequencing data
- Leveraging Hartwig’s tools and database to help explore, discover and validate new insights in tumor biology and treatment
- Working with our many collaborators and users of our tools to help integrate our tools into research and clinical pipelines
- Improving productivity and scalability of our internal processes, engineering and analyses via automation and simplification
- Qualification in relevant degree such as bioinformatics, computational biology or data science (PHD desirable, but not required)
- At least 5 years of demonstrable experience as a data scientist, bioinformatician or a similar position. Specific experience in cancer genomics or transcriptomics is highly desirable
- Australian citizenship or permanent residency
- Strong familiarity with Unix/Linux and cloud computing environments
- Data manipulation and visualization skills in R or Python required, further programming experience in Java, C++, C# or a similar object-oriented language are an asset
- Ability to work cross-functionally and drive projects to completion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Sense of urgency and ability to prioritize
What you are looking for in a job
- A diverse set of responsibilities in a talented, highly committed and enthusiastic team
- A commitment to open-source development and knowledge and data sharing
- A focus on innovation, automation and the development of best-in-class DNA and RNA analyses for molecular profiling
- An emphasis on translational impact to ensure our development efforts directly affect and improves the lives and treatment of cancer patients
- Fast development cycle and short turnaround times for new features to be added to our research and diagnostic pipelines
- Opportunities to collaborate with leading cancer genomics research groups both locally and internationally
Now it’s up to you! Send your personal motivation and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application procedure consists of two interviews.
Any questions? Contact Peter Priestley via email@example.com.
Freelancers and temporary employment/recruitment agencies should not respond to this vacancy.
This is us
Hartwig Medical Foundation Australia is an innovative not for profit organization that wants to ensure that every patient with cancer receives the best possible treatment and care. We are a small team of software engineers and data scientists with a strong expertise in software engineering, genomics and cancer biology.
Our vision is to make whole genome (WGS) and whole transcriptome (WTS) based testing available to every cancer patient in Australia to guide their treatment. We aim to do this both by creating novel algorithms to identify new biomarkers and improve the utility of WGS/WTS, and by applying best software engineering practices to simplify, automate and drive down the cost of analysis and reporting.
Together with our partner organization Hartwig Medical Foundation in the Netherlands, we also develop and maintain the world’s largest publicly available database of whole cancer genomes and transcriptomes. We closely collaborate with leading cancer translational research organizations here in Australia and around the world who use both our database and our open-source software.
More information about the organization and activities can be found on hartwigmedicalfoundation.nl.
Location: Suite 28, level 1, 50 Yeo St, Neutral Bay, NSW 2089, Sydney, Australia
Het feit dat het CPCT het samen met Hartwig Medical Foundation voor elkaar heeft gekregen om data, kennis en kunde van vrijwel alle Nederlandse ziekenhuizen te bundelen, is uniek en krijgt inmiddels ook internationale aandacht